Calling all you Swanagers, past, present and future it is that time of year again.
Our walking/running/cycling/whatever you fancy weekend will take place this year on Friday to Sunday, 14-16 November. Why not join us for a weekend of fun, action and exercise, both in the bar and out.
The itinerary will follow the usual tried and tested format developed by ace lead walker, Dave Kent, which includes an early morning run at 8am, together with blue sky over the headland to wave and look at Old Harry. Or some of you may want to do the Park Run in Poole.
After the run there will be time for freshening up and breakfast before heading out for your choice of
1. Leaving at 11am for a leisurely walk cross-country to Corfe Castle where you can sink a few pints, have some pub grub, or visit the tea and gift shops before walking or running back to the campsite. Or, if you want to do it in style, you can take the steam train back to Swanage and do some pre-Xmas shopping in the numerous gift shops before taxi-ing back to the campsite for a very small outlay.
2. For the triathletes or cyclists out there, instead of the walk to Corfe Castle there will be the ever excellent bike ride with a lunch/tea stop on route. The ride will leave the same time as the walk.
Obviously also please mention any special dietary requirements and we will pass those on as well.
• Cream of Tomato & Basil Soup with croutons and warm bread
• Handmade Haddock Fishcake with citrus dressing topped with crispy pancetta
• Duck Spring Rolls with plum sauce
• Chicken, Orange and Cranberry Pate with baby leaf salad and sliced brioche
• Trio of Pork Sausages with red onion gravy and mash potatoes
• Cod Loin with garlic and chilli langoustine tails
• Beef Bourguignon – Pieces of beef braised in burgundy wine, baby onions, garlic, thyme and smoked bacon topped with herb dumplings
• Nut Loaf with gratin dauphinoise potatoes and red onion marmalade
• Chocolate Truffle Torte with fresh cream
• Mango, Rum and Lime Syllabub
• Spiced Apple Tart with clotted cream
Coffee and Fresh Cream
£17.95 per person
There will be the traditional 8 a.m. run to Agglestone Rock, which is located on the magnificent Studland Bay before brekkie.
After checking out, we will meet this year at a pub (to be finalised) in/near the New Forest, which is on our way home. Here we can go for a run or a walk through the New Forest and meet back for lunch afterwards before continuing on your journey home in the afternoon.
The weekend is what you make it. In addition to the above, or instead of, there will be cyclists zooming round the country lanes, popping up at intervals to see how the runners are doing, or doing their own thing and finding new routes to take. This year it has been organised by 3 people who have not done this weekend before, so we may come across some other great ideas to do, also if there is anything else that you want to be included in this weekend, please let us know and we will do our best.
The Sandbanks Ferry Service runs daily between Bournemouth and Studland, weather and other circumstances permitting, except for times when the vessel is undergoing refit. Crossing time is normally around 4 minutes. You will need to check the website nearer the time to see if the ferry will be running. If not, you will need to drive round via Wareham, which is another 45 minutes.
You need to book your own caravans and the rates, contact number of the campsite plus map of the caravans is attached.www.ulwellcottagepark.co.uk/pdfs/UlwellMap2013.pdf
Come along and have some fun, you will get hooked!
Please contact Alison Pyke, Maureen Traynor or Neil Reissland if you are interested in attending or add your name to the Forum topic
The AGM will be at 7.30pm on Friday 28th. November 2014 . Read the Agenda here. There are some proposed changes to the Rules & Regulations that involve the communication to members and the colour of club shorts. The rules concerned are numbers 3, 17, 21 and 26. The present Rules can be seen in the "About Us" tab and the proposed rules can be seen here. The minutes of last year's AGM were published in the Spring Gazette. It would be nice to see a few new faces at the AGM so come along at 7pm for a glass of wine before the meeting.
Surrey Champs Combined Events
SLH was represented by 3 young athletes in the Surrey Championships Combined Events competition on 14th September. Amelia Clark, Jessica Gouveia-Slatter and Ella Price competed in the U13 Girls pentathlon at Long Jump, 70m hurdles, shot put, high jump and 800m, finishing 6th, 13th and 15th respectively. Amelia had 5 strong events including a PB in the High Jump at 1m 29cm and was close to both her hurdles and long jump PBs. Jess also high jumped 1m 29cm only 1 cm short of her PB, had a good 800m and had she not been impacted by another athlete’s fall in the hurdles may well have placed top 10 overall. Ella ran a PB in the hurdles and had a good long jump, finishing with a credible overall score despite this pentathlon not including the javelin which is her strongest event. Coach Anne Baba said how proud she was of all three athletes, particularly as they only started training at some of these disciplines earlier this season.